How Long Will My Divorce Take?
At least once a day, prospective clients ask me how long it will take to finalize a divorce. When asked, unfortunately my only response is the “typical attorney” answer, “it depends.” How long a divorce takes is never straight forward because there are a lot of factors involved in issuing a divorce. These factors can either extend or expedite the typical length of time it takes to finalize a legal divorce. Here are a few examples of variables that can play into how quickly your divorce is processed:
- It can depend on the judge that is assigned to the case
- It can depend on the attorney’s organization and preparation of the case
- It often depends on if the parties are both willing and wanting to get the divorce completed quickly, or if they are prolonging the process by constantly arguing over every issue.
As you can see, there are both controllable and uncontrollable factors that can unnecessarily delay the divorce process. However, if expediting your divorce is your intention, there are a few things you can do to:
- Be prepared with all financial information and a schedule of your preferred custody timeshare.
- Respond to the attorney’s request for documentation in a timely manner
- Approach mediations with the willingness to try to settle the issues and not get into a battle with your spouse.
If you are considering divorce, do not hesitate to contact our office to discuss your specific situation with our experienced attorney. Our office can be reached at (702) 998-1188, firstname.lastname@example.org, or by scheduling a consultation online.